Thursday, November 20, 2008

PSLE (Primary School Leaving Examinations)

Today, my second son received his PSLE result.

My wife called me on the mobile and said,"Your son's score is the same as our block number ..." My first thought was: "Dxxx! I should have moved to Block 240 instead of Block 204 ten years ago!" No lah, just kidding ....

In fact, I was not too concerned about his score (fyi, the top student in Singapore scored 287) as I had seen how hard he had worked for the last 2 months on his own initiative. He has tried his best and that is good enough for me :-)

Anyway, my wife continued,"... and guess what, he scored an A in Chinese!" Whoa, my son scored an A in Chinese! Hallelujah!! It must be God!!!

You see, my son (actually, all my 3 sons) has always been poor in the subject of Chinese since Primary 1, mainly because we speak English at home and he doesn't get much practice. We sent him for Chinese tuition but it seems to be of little help as he was still getting Cs most of the time. At one point, my wife wanted to stop the tuition lessons as she felt it was a waste of money with little hope of improvement but my sister persuaded her to let him continue until the PSLE was over.

So I say it is by God's grace that my son got an A for Chinese. Those of you out there who are working hard and persevering but see no improvement in your situation, take heart! For it is when you are weak, then are you strong!

2 Cor 12:9-10 (NLT)
9 Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 10 That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

God loves to manifest His glory in precisely the area where you are weakest.

1 Cor 1:26-27 (NIV)
26Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

Don't give up!

Samson lost his superhuman strength and blinded by the Philistines but it was precisely when Samson was at his weakest that he achieved his greatest victory.

Judges 16:30 (NKJV)
30 Then Samson said, “Let me die with the Philistines!” And he pushed with all his might, and the temple fell on the lords and all the people who were in it. So the dead that he killed at his death were more than he had killed in his life.


My third son will be sitting for his PSLE in two years' time. Maybe it's still not to late to move to Block 240 ....

No comments: