Sunday, December 7, 2008

Did You Enjoy Church Today?

Today, Pastor Prince opened his sermon by greeting us with this verse:
Psalm 122:1 (NKJV)
I was glad when they said to me,
“Let us go into the house of the LORD.”

How did you feel this morning at the thought of going to church again?
Were you glad like I was this morning?
Or were you feeling as if you were being asked to do a household chore, just like I was as recently as about 5 years ago?

Before I came to New Creation Church, I had been faithfully attending my previous AOG Church for more than 20 years since I was a child. I enjoyed it as a kid, looking forward to Sunday School, meeting friends and learning bible stories.

However, after I graduated to the adult worship services, I began to enjoy it less and less. Every Sunday I was shown through the pastor's preaching how far short I was from God's standards. I felt that I was not pleasing God and not pleasing to God.

During the weekdays, I read very little of the bible, and seldom prayed and when I did pray, it seems that all I ever did was to throw prayer requests to God. I never had the courage to witness to others about Christ and I did not invite anyone to church. I felt that I was not doing enough to justify my existence as a Christian.

I work 6 days a week and Sunday is a rest day for me. Previously, I would think of going to church as "work" i.e. attending church to fulfill my obligation as a Christian and after that the rest of the day is "rest".

But now I enjoy going to church. I look forward to going to church every Sunday. Going to church is now "rest" to me. How is it different now compared to before?

The difference lies in the preaching, the message. Now in NCC, I hear Christ preached every Sunday. I am told I am the righteousness of God in Christ (2 Cor 5:21). I am taught that my salvation is assured forever (Hebrews 10). I am told that God remembers my sins no more (Jer 31:34). All this and much more accomplished through the finished work of Christ on the cross.

So come next Sunday, will you be glad when they say to you,"Let us go into the house of the LORD.”?

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ever since I accepted Christ 2 yrs ago at NCC, every Sunday and previously bible study weekday, I rush to meet Daddy and to listen to His words for me. :P Shalmon

Jeffrey said...

Ha ha.We are very blessed to have Christ(His person) and Him crucified (His finished work) being preached every Sunday, at least at NCC.1 Cor 1:23,1 Cor 2:2

Thank God for CDs that I am able to hear every sermon that NCC preaches since my family attends another church.Especially when I miss NCC service.

I believe there are many like me from another church but have caught the Gospel of Grace.

You asked the right queston bro.I enjoy church especially on Sunday afternoons when I get to hear Christ preached at the Rock.Soon it'll be at 1 North.

What most of us hear is not Christ being preached but man's performance.What we must do.The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation.It also includes the power to motivate Christians.

By using law, leaders soon get burn out and members also get tired after some time.

It is impossible to preached Christ and His finished work in a "balance way."

Paul preached the Gospel of Grace,the resurrected and ascended Christ and His finished work on the cross.

Preachers still preach from the sermon on the mount and the beattitudes (from an old covenant perspective),NOT REALIZING that it is old covenant mreant for the Jews during Jesus time in Israel.

Jn 1:17 said it beautifully in the NASB version

For the Law was given through Moses;Grace and Truth WERE REALIZED through Jesus Christ.

Truly Blessed,
Highly Favoured,
Deeply Loved,
Amazingly Redeemed,
Wonderfully Made !

Joo said...

Thank you Stanley and Jeffrey for all the encouraging words.

Yes, it is always a joy to be in the house of the Lord to behold His beauty.

One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek Him in His temple. (Ps 27:4)

Angie said...

I was serving in Nursery yesterday but nevertheless i was certainly blessed to be a blessing.

And guess what? Angela, Geri & I had planned to meet last week. But because of a clash in schedules, we weren't able to meet Angela. But after finishing my service at the nursery ytd, i walked out of Brightstar to see a cute little toddler greeting his mom with a 'scream'. He was so happy & excited seeing his mom, i thought his gesture was so sweet. Little did i know the mom standing at the door was Angela! :D I only realise it when i was taking Gareth over from Mic (outside Brightstar) and thot both mommy & child looks familiar. God is so good! We've been fellowshipping over the net for some time and we finally met! :D

So yes, although I didn't manage to attend the preaching of Ps via video, I enjoyed church very much!!