Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Lord Is Watching

Last Sunday, Pastor Charles Nieman  preached at New Creation Church.  I was at the first service and was deeply impacted by his sermon on faith.  He really opened my eyes to what faith really is (I will blog about this another time) and I was very impressed with the way he built his sermon sytematically through the relevant verses.

One of the verses that he referred to left a very deep impression on me:

Jeremiah 1:12 (Amplified Bible)
Then said the Lord to me, You have seen well, for I am alert and active, watching over My word to perform it.

I always had this image of God watching over us, taking care of us and making sure we are all right, which might very well be true but it is so much more reassuring now that I know for certain that God is watching over His word in order to accomplish it.  Why?  

Because now I know the key to prayer.  I used to pray prayers that sound like I am begging God but now I know that I don't have to beg God!  I just need to find out what God's word says about me or my situation, and when I pray His word, God will be sure to accomplish it.

Brothers and sisters, if you happen to fall sick, you don't have to beg God to heal you.  For it is written: 

But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement [needful to obtain] peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes [that wounded] Him we are healed and made whole.
(Isaiah 53:5, Amplified Bible)


If you have just lost your job and worried about providing for your family, take heart for it is written:

THE LORD is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack.
(Psalm 23:1, Amplified Bible)

And my God will liberally supply (fill to the full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 
(Philippians 4:19, Amplified Bible)

And God is able to make all grace (every favor and earthly blessing) come to you in abundance, so that you may always and under all circumstances and whatever the need be self-sufficient [possessing enough to require no aid or support and furnished in abundance for every good work and charitable donation]. 
(2 Cor 9:8, Amplified Bible)


I don't know how and I don't know when God will accomplish His Word but God says He is ALERT and ACTIVE and WATCHING and He will PERFORM HIS WORD.  Just pray His word, for it is written:

God is not a man, so he does not lie.
      He is not human, so he does not change his mind.
   Has he ever spoken and failed to act?
      Has he ever promised and not carried it through?
(Numbers 23:19, NLT)  

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Stanley!

This post is straight to the heart of the matter. Uplifting!

Angie said...

Hi Stan

I need some help here.

You know how we are always told to look at the verse in context. But actually, sometimes i have problems defining if a verse is quoted in context.:p

Take Jer 1:12 for example, how do i tell if it's taken in context? :p

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Angie,

To see Jer 1:12 in its context,let's read it together with the verses before - Jer 1:4-12 (Amplified Bible)

4Then the word of the Lord came to me [Jeremiah], saying,

5Before I formed you in the womb I knew [and] approved of you [as My chosen instrument], and before you were born I separated and set you apart, consecrating you; [and] I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.

6Then said I, Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am only a youth.

7But the Lord said to me, Say not, I am only a youth; for you shall go to all to whom I shall send you, and whatever I command you, you shall speak.

8Be not afraid of them [their faces], for I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord.

9Then the Lord put forth His hand and touched my mouth. And the Lord said to me, Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.

10See, I have this day appointed you to the oversight of the nations and of the kingdoms to root out and pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.

11Moreover, the word of the Lord came to me, saying, Jeremiah, what do you see? And I said, I see a branch or shoot of an almond tree [the emblem of alertness and activity, blossoming in late winter].

12Then said the Lord to me, You have seen well, for I am alert and active, watching over My word to perform it.


We can see that this passage is about God calling Jeremiah to be His prophet i.e. to be God's spokesman.

Jeremiah said he cannot speak for God as he is only a youth but God said that He will put words into Jeremiah's mouth and assured him that He will be watching His words to accomplish it.

In Jer 1:11 God asked Jeremiah what he saw, and Jeremiah answered a branch of an almond tree.

The Hebrew word for “watching” (shoqed) sounds like the word for “almond tree” (shaqed)

God is telling Jeremiah not to be afraid because although Jeremiah is the one speaking, the words coming out of his mouth are not his own but are actually God's word and God himself is watching over His word to perform it.

Similarly, the Bible is God's word and when we speak what the Bible says about us or our situation, God is watching over those words that we speak to perform it.

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Anonymous 3/12/08_1257,

I am glad you are blessed by this post.

Btw, may I know your name please? It will be good to make new friends through this blog.

Shalom

Angie said...

Thanks Stan! Crystal!

i guess what stumbled me was that the following verses were talking about judgements & punishments :p But if God can watch His words in the old covenant, what more in the new rite? ;p

jeffrey said...

Hi Angie,

Another powerful verse would be Is 55:11.

So shall My word be that goes out of My mouth,It shall not return to Me empty,Without accomplishing what I desire,And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.

Angie said...

Thanks Jeff! Noted :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Stanley,

I'm the Anonymous. I'm Peggy. Forgot to sign off. ;P

Started reading your posts recently and I must say I'm real blessed by your sharing.
Btw, I'm amazed how you could draw out the similarity of the two Hebrew words for watching” (shoqed) and almond tree(shaqed)!

Thanks!

Peggy

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Peggy,
I have to confess that I found the "watching" and "almond tree" similarity from the notes of the New Living Translation :-)

After watching the "Behold the Man" dvd series, I realized that God likes to use such word plays in the bible. I hope to learn more about this and share it soon.