Thursday, June 25, 2009

I Must Eat

I haven't been posting recently because I have been feeling rather tired, both physically and mentally. I was wondering why I felt that way and I think the reason is because I have not been eating God's Word recently.

My sister loaned me a couple of Japanese drama series while I bought one too at a sale by Poh Kim Video and I have been watching them at my stall for the last 2 weeks. I only listened to Pastor Prince's sermons on and off and I guess that is not really enough to feed my spirit.

Two days ago, Angie popped by my stall to hand me a stack of books (written by Peter Wade) which I ordered through her as well as a book by Steve McVey and one by Andrew Wommack (AW). As I started reading "The Believer's Authority" by AW, I began to feel a sense of strength coming back into my spirit and even my body.

Angie was a little concerned that AW was talking about a lot of dos and don'ts in his book but as I read on, I realized that AW was not telling us to do this or that, or don't do this or that per se but rather he was concerned about the effects of those dos and don'ts on our spirit ie. he was concerned for what we are feeding our spirit. In chapter 3, AW wrote:

"I minister to people all the time who desire the results they see in my life, but aren't willing to do what I do. They want to sit and watch "As the Stomach Turns" on television. They watch R- and X-rated movies, indulging negative emotions that I would never indulge. I recognize that there is a spiritual battle going on, and if I ever began to open up and allow such things into my heart and mind, Satan would take advantage of it. So I live a very restricted life, refraining from many things that other people do. (Psalm 101:3)"

After Jesus' resurrection, He showed Himself to his disciples who were out fishing and talked to Peter who had just denied Him three times earlier. Three times He asked Peter whether he loved Him and Peter answered "Yes" three times. The first time Peter answered, Jesus told him "Feed my lambs" while at the second and third time, Jesus told Peter "Feed my sheep". (John 21:15-17)

Jesus did not tell Peter to lead the sheep or guide the sheep or protect the sheep BUT He said FEED the sheep. Jesus is concerned for us that we get to eat. Eating is important because that is the only way we can grow and be strong. You know, those wolves and other predators out hunting the sheep, do you think that they just pick out any sheep at random and attack? No, they single out the weak ones because they are easy meat, and I suspect the weaker ones are those who have not been feeding well.

Take note that the first time, Jesus said "Feed my lambs." (John 21:15) - lambs, not sheep. What do lambs eat? Actually, they don't really eat but drink; they drink milk. All of us start out as lambs and as we feed and feed on milk, we grow and grow, and eventually we become sheep. However, does a sheep still drink milk? No, the sheep does not DRINK milk anymore but EATS grass and other solid food. That's why Jesus told Peter the second and third time to "feed my sheep". There's a difference between a lamb and a sheep. There's a difference between milk and grass too!

Hebrews 5:8-13 (NASB)

8Although He was a Son, He learned obedience from the things which He suffered.

9And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation,

10being designated by God as a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek.

11Concerning him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.

12For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food.

13For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant.


Yes, it's important to eat but what are you feeding yourselves? Is it milk? That means you are not feeding on the word of righteousness (v13). That means you are still a lamb, not a mature sheep. Looking at the context of the above passage, it is clear that the word of righteousness is about the finished work of Christ for Paul says in v11 "Concerning him we have much to say" where the "him" refers to Jesus, the Son of God (v8). Romans 10:17 confirms this - "Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ."

You want to do something for the Lord? Then eat first! Don't keep thinking about doing something for the Lord. Feed on the word of righteousness, on the finished work of Christ and grow strong in the Lord, and then you are fit for some work.

I will talk to you again soon but first ... I must eat!


5 comments:

Kat said...

Hi Stan,
What you shared is so true. We also have to be mindful of what we feed on and from which shepherd.The bible says, " I will set up shepherds over them who will feed them; and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, nor shall they be lacking,” says the LORD." (Jeremiah 23:4)
When the shepherd we are feeding from is anointed by God, we will fear no more, nor be dismayed, nor be lacking. :)

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Kat,
Great verse! Hmmm ... now I know by what criteria to assess shepherds ;-)

Stephanie said...

Yes, it's important what you feed into your spirit. Just like AW described in his Chap 3, I don't watch tv most of my time, only on rare occasion that I do.

Angie said...

haha.. great! eat & then share ah! :D

i love the part on feed my lambs/ sheep part. it's so WOW!

Now i know why i'm enjoying milk again ;p but i shan't worry about growing up. I shall enjoy it and grow well to be a fatted sheep ;)

dazza533 said...

Hi Stanley, good to hear from you again. I just had one of those days when bad business news has come in a tidal wave one after another and I was left deflated. And then in the midst of the last piece of news I looked up to heaven and I said to Jesus: "You're my provision and you're more than enough" I feel down but I'm not out and I remember that the Lord has the last word in everything. Your encouragement to us to feed has come very timely, so thanks.