Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My "Brand" Of Christian Life

A fellow Christian brother, Derrick posted the following comment on my post "Judicial Forgiveness and Parental Forgiveness - Part 4":
Hi Stanley I don't think you are going to change your mind, but does your brand of 'Christian life' (very different from mine) allow for any humility before God (eg. Paul calling himself the chief of sinners), or any subjective guilt (eg. Paul called himself a wretched man) or any confession of sins? Btw, I do not know any Christian who find the above three weary tasks to do, since we do them not to gain acceptance from God. Rather they are natural actions reflecting our Spirit life as a result of our faith. No offence, but I find your description of Christian life rather weird and not true liberation. In case you are wondering, I am not a fan of Kong Hee (I am actually against some of his teachings eg. prosperity gospel), but I find that he is closer to the fundamental gospel that Joseph Prince is.


I decided to publish Derrick's interesting comment and my response as a separate blog post as I hope that this will generate more responses from others and it would be interesting to see all the different "brands" ;-)

My response:
Hi Derrick,

My "brand" of Christian life acknowledges that I stand righteous before God, not because of my own efforts, but because of Christ's sacrifice on the cross (Heb 10:14, 2 Cor 5:21).

My "brand" of Christian life acknowledges that whatever righteous acts I do are like filthy rags before God (Isaiah 64:6), therefore I boast not of my works but of the grace of God (Rom 4:2)

My "brand" of Christian life acknowledges the completeness of Christ Jesus' work on the cross (John 19:30); because of Christ Jesus' sacrifice, ALL of my sins are forgiven.

My "brand" of Christian life acknowledges that God does not remember my sins anymore (Heb 10:17) for they have all been taken away by the blood of Christ Jesus(Heb 10:11-17)

My "brand" of Christian life acknowledges that even when I fail and commit sins, I am the blessed man to whom God does not impute sin (Rom 4:8).

My "brand" of Christian life acknowledges that God's grace is sufficient for me and His power is made perfect in my weakness, and therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. (2 Cor 12:9)

My "brand" of Christian life acknowledges that it is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me, and the life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Gal 2:20)

My "brand" of Christian life acknowledges that I have been forgiven much and therefore I love much (Luke 7:41-43, 47).


Does my "brand" of Christian life "allow for any humility before God"? How about your "brand" of Christian life?

3 comments:

Derrick said...

Hi Bro Stanley

Please do not mistake my meaning. I definitely do not disagree with you on what you have posted. When I said 'brand' I was referring only to the belief that continual repentance is unnecessary in the Christian life.

I believe in Christ's perfect work done for me and the forgiveness of all my sins as much as you do. I have responded to this: what I think is a confusion between justification and sanctification in my blog (see point #3).

While continual repentance (or any other works) has no role to play in our justification before God, it is a necessary ongoing act in our sanctification process, our works as a result of faith, our continual working out of salvation with fear and trembling (Phil 2:12-13).

fuzzytransmit said...

i hear alot of self-righteousness.

a necessary ongoing act in our sanctification process as if the Holy Spirit is just fancy gold dust?

balancing our works with His finished work? do you really?

joshen said...

Hey Derrick!

saw your post and would like to bring up some points.

1) What is this "sanctification process" that we speak of when Christ said "IT IS FINISHED!" ?

Cos I am studying chemical process in Poly, and an on-going process doesnt really bear witness to a Finished Work....


2) The phrase "work out our salvation" is commonly confused with "work for"... i have no doubt that you are talking about the former, but working out is simply being a testimony to the world about Jesus! This holds true also for the phrase "faith without works is dead".

Both of these verses are taught for us to show other people the Glory of Jesus, those who are unsaved, and not as something to show God, for like as Isaiah 64:6 says:" We are all like one who is unclean, all our so-called righteous acts are like a menstrual rag in your sight."

Plus, it says we work out , FOr it is HE who works in us! but normal people(non christians) cant see that! So we gotta work it out to show them the things that God is working in us!

Hallelujah <3

Lastly..

3) The phrase with "fear and trembling" is definitely in the wrong place here. In the Bible, everytime we find the phrase "fear and trembling", it is because they have/or are about to experience a great blessing..

The first mention of it is in Jeremiah 33:9 "It will be to Me a name of joy, praise and glory before all the nations of the earth which will hear of all the good that I do for them, and they will fear and tremble because of all the good and all the peace that I make for it." Key word : Fear and tremble because of all the good...

The woman with the issue of blood "feared and trembled" because she had experienced healing..

2 Corinthians 7 says the people recieved Titus with fear and trembling, and they were able to comfort Titus, and refresh his heart. Only a people confident of good things can fear+tremble+be a living testimony of a loving Father..



Think about it, read the Word, and I'll look forward to a reply ^^