Friday, July 31, 2009

Catching The Sun



My wife is "obsessed" with her favourite "Olympic" sport ... "Catching the Sun" ;-)

You see, with 3 school-going kids plus me and her, there's a lot of laundry for her to handle and the 6 bamboo poles outside the kitchen window are not enough to hang all the laundry. Therefore, she hangs some of the clothes on hangers and hangs them on the window grilles of our bedrooms to catch the sunlight that streams into the bedrooms every morning.

If the morning happens to be dark or cloudy at the time she goes off to work, she would leave the clothes on the hanger stand in the kitchen BUT she would call me later from the office and check whether the sun is out and "ask" me to hang out the clothes on the window grilles if it is. I am now so used to this "sport" that I would automatically hang out the clothes when the sun is out.

Although I have been participating in this "sport" for quite some time now, it only dawned (pun intended ;-)) on me yesterday that I have been engaging in the sport of "Catching the Sun" for the past 6 years ... to be more precise, it is the sport of "Catching The Sun of Righteousness".

Malachi 4:2 (NKJV)
But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise With healing in His wings; And you shall go out And grow fat like stall-fed calves.

I have been attending New Creation Church since Oct 2003, and all the sermons I have listened to seek to glorify Jesus. I have listened to them so much that it is now second nature to me to look for Jesus in whatever sermons, articles or even worship songs that any preacher/leader/writer preaches or writes. Some weeks ago, a prominent preacher from the US came to preach at NCC and I was rather disappointed at his sermon but I couldn't quite place my finger on the reason; I later spoke to a few friends and they too shared in my disappointment as they also "didn't feel the anointing in his preaching" ... now I know the reason - it's because I didn't catch the Sun of Righteousness in his sermon ... I couldn't see Jesus in his preaching.

Recently, I have been introduced to Andrew Wommack's and Steve McVey's ministries and I was eager to listen to their sermons and read their books. After reading and listening for a while now, my personal opinion (you are entitled to your own) is that SM's sunlight is not that strong and intermittent while AW's sunlight is strong and consistent, and I have decided to catch the strongest sunlight.

Is there any sunlight in your church? Is it strong and consistent? No? Then you may have to move to where the sunlight is strongest and most consistent. Hesitant about moving? Then you have to ask yourself whether you are really interested in "Catching The Sun".

Psalm 37:6 (NIV)
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

5 comments:

Kat said...

Amen, Stan! Yet another great Post! When we are occupied with catching the SUN, we will not be occupied with ourselves and our challenges. The sport of catching the Sun sets us free from taking care!

Malcolm Loh said...

What a wonderful and timely post, Stan!

On Tuesday, I will giving out to all present something that is full of the Son :-D

Angie said...

Amen, Stan & Kat! And so nice to have a community doing the same thing together! ;D

Mal, I'm looking forward to your surprise gift! ;p

Chinedu said...

Yes Stan. The gospel is all about Jesus. No Jesus, no gospel.
SM is not that bad though. love u all.

The Logical Mouse said...

Stan

You SHOULD bring you clothes to another church. The "Sun" is stronger there (==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd_fCJISBgs )