Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Is Victory Achieved Or Received? (1)



Those of you who have read my earlier posts "Musings of the Ice Kacang Man" would already know about the dessert stall opened by my ex-landlord's relative just 2 doors away from my present location. On Monday 27 July, my ex-landlord took advantage of the fact that the first dessert stall is usually closed on Mondays and changed the locks on the shutter gate of his stall. I heard from various sources that my ex-landlord is taking back his stall because he is owed at least 2 months of rentals and utilities bills and he is not likely to get paid anytime soon. Anyway, that stall has not opened since then.

I have been looking forward to the day of that stall's demise but that stall seemed to be prospering and I was not hopeful of seeing it closed down anytime soon. Two months ago, I read Andrew Wommack's book "A Better Way To Pray" and he taught that we have to speak to our mountain based on Mark 11:23 (and also Matt 21:21) and tell it to move. I applied that teaching and as I walked past that stall, I spoke to it and told it to move and be gone.

After that stall closed down, I heard from someone that actually my ex-landlord wanted to take back his stall two months ago but his relative managed to stump up some money to pay him and he delayed his action. Is it a coincidence that it was then that I spoke to that mountain? I don't think so. I believe that the Holy Spirit is teaching me to receive the victory that God has already given me by following the spiritual principles that He has set up and speak to that mountain.

Am I writing all this to gloat over the closure of the first dessert stall? NO, I just want you to know that God is faithful even though the answer seems a long time coming (in my case, it's 22 months), and that victory is received, not achieved.

Based on my observation and also from feedback of one of my suppliers (who also supply to that first stall), that stall's business turnover is rather good, at least about the same as mine, if not better but why is it that they do not have the money to pay my ex-landlord? I don't know the reason but it shows that their demise is NOT because of my stall snatching business away from them.

When the first stall opened, well-meaning friends have suggested to me various ways and means to counter their presence. One suggested displaying a banner at the staircase leading up to the food centre, one suggested printing and distributing flyers or offer discounts (the first stall waived extra charges for take-away containers for those who bought 3 or more desserts) while some have suggested selling unique desserts that they saw at some famous dessert stalls.

I did none of these but merely added some menu items that the first stall was offering and a few more hot desserts so that customers can have more dessert choices. You see, the first stall installed a "Thai prosperity god" inside the stall, and immediately I saw this as a challenge to Daddy God and I believe Daddy God has already won. I do not need to fight for my victory for the battle is the Lord's (1 Sam 17:47). Of course, during these past 22 months, my faith wavered according to what my eyes saw (up when the first stall got poor business and down when they have long queues). We are supposed to walk by faith and not by sight but this is easier said than done because our eyes do see and we naturally react according to what we see.

When I saw long queues at that stall, sometimes I would get so frustrated and wondered why the wicked can profit at the expense of the righteous. As you can see, I am not at that level yet where I can see and not be affected, so I did the next best thing ... I refused to see. I would retreat into my stall and listen to Pastor Prince's sermons, and listen and listen and listen until faith rises up again. Now, I understand why Romans 10:17 says "faith comes by hearing (not seeing), and hearing by the word of Christ" (words in brackets mine).

Anyway, this also shows that I am not the one who defeated the first stall since they enjoyed good business. I don't know how and why they closed down despite good business but I thank you, Daddy God because "no one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame, but they will be put to shame who are treacherous without excuse" (Psalm 25:3). So far, I have been telling you from my personal experience that victory is received and not achieved but I shall share with you from the bible, the basis for this in my next post.

By the way, I have heard from another source that my ex-landlord wants to rent out his stall again for dessert business so as not to waste the equipment already installed inside. After I heard that, like what Jesus did to that fig tree, I walked over to that stall and spoke to it: "No dessert stall shall spring forth from you ever again, in Jesus' name."

I am ready to receive victory once again.

2 comments:

Angie said...

haha... i spoke to Gareth's infection too and rested on the healing that was received thru the cross ;)

Liu said...

Like what we say in hokkien ..."you win liao lor!" Amen

How to fight against God? only a big stupid liar tried doing that for thousand of years!

Shalom,
William