Monday, October 12, 2009

Flying Below The Radar

I am presently watching a very long Korean "historical" drama (edited into 120 episodes) entitled "Jumong" which is the story of how the titular character, Jumong founded the ancient kingdom of Goguryeo.

In the drama, Jumong is the third son of King Geumwa of Buyeo. He is actually not the real son of King Geumwa but the son of King Geumwa's bosom buddy and fellow rebel warrior against the Han Dynasty. King Geumwa raised Jumong like his own son and highly favoured him and his mother. Consequently, Jumong's two older brothers (born of the Queen) hated Jumong, whom they thought was just the son of the King's concubine.

Jumong grew up with a reputation of being a coward with no martial arts skills and a playboy, or in the older brothers' words, "a useless bum". It turned out that Jumong deliberately adopted this lifestyle as a defence against his brothers, hoping that they would dismiss him as a threat to the eldest brother, Daeso succeeding the throne and hence would not bother to kill him.

However, because King Geumwa delayed naming his successor ie. the Crown Prince which is traditionally the eldest son despite repeated appeals from his officials, Daeso and his younger brother Youngpo feared that King Geumwa intended to pass the throne to Jumong and they tried to assassinate Jumong.

This reminded me of how I tried to live my Christian life for many years. I used to think that the devil likes to attack church leaders because the bible says "smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered" (Zech 13:7) and thus I did not want to be an "outstanding" Christian and "attract" the devil's attention. I have already booked my my place in heaven and I just wanted to attend church faithfully, stay low profile and lead a peaceful, non-eventful life.

I thought that by flying below the radar, I can escape the devil's attention and hence will not need to face any major trials and tribulations. How wrong I was ... Jumong was by all appearances not a capable or responsible person but he was still attacked. Why? Because Jumong is a prince and therefore an heir to the throne despite his inadequacies, and a threat to the eldest brother.

1 Peter 5:8 says "Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour." The lion will naturally try to attack the weak ones first as they make for easy prey. Whether we are "strong" or "weak" Christians, the devil will still attack us, simply because we are his enemy.

James 4:7 says "Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." We are to resist the devil, not hide from the devil. How do we resist the devil if we do not build ourselves up with the Word of God and stand on the Word?

Jumong, after escaping from his brothers, managed to learn martial arts from an expert (whom he later discovers to be his biological father, but that's another story ;-) ) and became strong and resisted his brothers later.

You and I also need to be strong in the Lord and his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.

In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.

(Ephesians 6:10-18, NLT)

6 comments:

Silk said...

Jumong is an awesome show! I loved it!

The Logical Mouse said...

That's odd. I see Christians going around "attacking" people on their disbelief ! Even though they also stay out of their radar.

Time to reflect.

The Logical Mouse said...

I'll be leaving this blog for good. So this will be my last comment.

Give me the last word. Don't reply to this or you'll invite me back.

For those I've offended. Sorry.

This is not a realisation. I have better things to do.

If you see any other mouse appearing, it's not me.

So long.

Stanley Wong said...

Hmmm ... what Logical Mouse said is ILLOGICAL, isn't it?

He said he's leaving this blog for good (yes, I agree with him that it is indeed good that he's leaving), and I risk inviting him back if I reply to his comment BUT ...

If LM has left this blog for good, then he shouldn't be able to see this comment.

If he does see this comment and can't resist the urge to reply, then it is obvious to all that he hasn't really left this blog at all but is still lurking around.

The Logical Mouse said...

Stanley Gong

For once, you are right. Bye.

Daughter Of Sarah said...

Lol. I really enjoyed this article Stan. =DD

LM - well, itz not as if you will be seeing this post but... umm... Shalom! =)