Friday, October 2, 2009

Mega-God

In one of my previous posts, "Church Building Project - A Different Approach", I concluded with the following words: "When a church truly believes in a mega-God, it does not have to be "looking to be a mega-church"; it can't help but become one."

It seems that some have mistakenly thought that I used the term "mega-God" (actually I was just quoting from Senior Pastor William Lee of Bartley Church - "Bartley Church is not looking to be a mega-church… Bartley Church is going to be a church that believes in a mega-God.") to mean that we make God bigger or more powerful than who He already is. This is of course not correct; like what brother Timothy Ng said in one of his comments - "God is God."

However, I would like to clarify that the way I used the term "mega-God" is with respect to our consciousness of how great or "mega" our God is. Yes, God is God but sometimes, especially in our times of need, the way we see God is not so great or "mega"- we can't bring ourselves to believe that God can help us out of our situation and resort to our own methods to resolve it.

One "good" example of this is Abraham. Abraham, not once but twice, lied to two heathen kings respectively that Sarah was his sister and hence "allowed" her to become one of the women in the kings' harem. Abraham justified his action by saying that "I said to myself,'There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.' Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife. And when God had me wander from my father's household, I said to her, 'This is how you can show your love to me: Everywhere we go, say of me, "He is my brother." '" (Gen 20:11-13)

This betrays a lack of trust in God by Abraham, don't you think? In Abraham's consciousness, God is not big enough to protect him and his family and therefore he has to rely on himself and do it through deceit and betrayal. Betrayal? Yes, betrayal because this is exactly what he did to his wife Sarah. By asking Sarah to go along with his lie, Abraham had effectively offered her as a "sacrifice" on the king's bed.

Was it true that "there is no fear of God in this place"? No, this was just an excuse that Abraham used to soothe his own conscience and cover up his total loss of faith in God because Gen 20: 3-8 tells us that God appeared to the king in a dream and warned him against touching Sarah and the king was greatly afraid.

God is God, the same God who promised Abraham in Gen 18:10 that "I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife will have a son." and yet, Abraham offered up his wife Sarah to sleep with a heathen king two chapters later. This is the same Abraham whom God cut a covenant with in Gen 15, the same man who "believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness" (v6).

God is God, and He never changes but obviously Abraham's level of consciousness of God changed from Gen 15 to Gen 20. Take a look at the video below and see what I mean: the tractor does look MEGA, doesn't it? ;-)





5 comments:

The Logical Mouse said...

Stan


You previously said “We were specifically told that we do not have to give up this or that to give to the building project; we will give out of our abundance. This is what I call believing in a mega-God.” in Church Building Project - A Different Approach. It does not matter who created the term, it’s YOU have subscribed to that term is what that matters.


When you say “to mean that we make God bigger or more powerful than who He already is.” You have qualified God and effectively make Him smaller than what He is. Is that considered blasphemy – disrespect for God?


You say “we can't bring ourselves to believe that God can help us out of our situation and resort to our own methods to resolve it.” This shows how much faith you have in God. I think you are really stubborn. Instead of repenting for making God smaller than He really is, you quote Abraham to justify your lack of faith.


Can one also conclude that the article shows that you do worship a God you have erected in your heart – idolatry? If you, really in the back of your mind, do worship the real Him, all these thoughts of mega-God will not appear in your thoughts. It will not surface at all.


May sound harsh. But do take a step back and consider what is written.

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Logical Mouse,

You said "When you say “to mean that we make God bigger or more powerful than who He already is.” You have qualified God and effectively make Him smaller than what He is. Is that considered blasphemy – disrespect for God?"

You have misquoted me (intentionally or otherwise?) ... I said in full: "It seems that some have mistakenly thought that I used the term "mega-God" to mean that we make God bigger or more poweful than who He already is. This is of course not correct;".

I then spent the rest of my article explaining that "the way I used the term "mega-God" is with respect to our consciousness of how great or "mega" our God is."

Psalm 34:3 says "Oh, magnify the LORD with me,And let us exalt His name together." The pslamist tells us to MAGNIFY the LORD - so does this mean that King David has "qualified God and effectively make Him smaller than what He is. Is that considered blasphemy – disrespect for God?"

Do take a step back and consider what is written, in the proper context.

The Logical Mouse said...

Yes. I have not read your article correctly. I apologise. But what I say still applies. My point is that we cannot qualify God. And in your third paragraph, you continue to explain what you meant by mega-God, “I would like to clarify that the way I used the term "mega-God" is with respect to our consciousness of how great or "mega" our God is.” That implies you do accept the term mega-God. Didn’t you also agree with Timothy Ng said ? “God is God”. But you also say God is mega-God ? Apa ini ?

Psalm 34:3… Hmm…. Magnify the Lord. I try to search the internet, I can see that some quote this as “Glorify the LORD with me: let us exalt his name together.” I don’t think the Magnify here mean to qualify God.

So in paragraph 3, what do you mean by mega-God ? When “we see God is not so great or "mega"”, what are you trying to say ? You always think God is Mega but now you don’t think God is mega ? And sadly, I really do see that there is something wrong with what you think. You don’t think God can help you solve your problems and you resort to your own methods ? When God was mega, he can help you out of the situation but when He is not Mega, he can’t? What happened to your faith?

What about the part on your lack of faith in saying “we can't bring ourselves to believe that God can help us out of our situation and resort to our own methods to resolve it” and you quote Abraham to justify your lack of faith ? No response ?

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Logical Mouse,

I replied you because you misquoted me. It is obvious from your reply that you still have not read and understood my article correctly.

Fellow Christians will appreciate what I mean when I use the example of Abraham to illustrate, not justify, a Christian's faith journey with its ups and downs, which you obviously do not understand because you are not a Christian and hence have not experienced this journey.

The Logical Mouse said...

And what is your response to my reply to you on your own contradiction is saying "God is God" and then "God is mega-God"? You respond and then hide (where) ?


And what is your response to my reply to you on Psalm 34:3 ? You challenge and then chickened out. If given the 2, I'll rather pick Glorify. You still think Magnify is to make God bigger ?


As for the example on Abraham, yup, I'm not a Christian. But that does not mean I cannot see a Christian deluding himself. And please don't drag other Christian into this. That itself does not prove anything. When you are down, God becomes smaller ? Why you feel down in the first place, with the HS living in you ? Where's the faith ? If you are truly walking with Jesus, God will plan everything for you. You worry that God will plan something wrong ? Why worry in the first place ? Where's the faith ?


You seem to think you are so right. You mind is so closed. Christians are right. Non-Christians are wrong. And of course, it doesn't help if you are so stubborn.


Since I first read your blog, I find your logic begs logic. You claim it's biblical logic as a means to get out of it. You know, there is no such thing as biblical logic. Logic is invented by Aristotle. You only apply the knowledge from the bible to go through the logic process. Non-christians may not have the bible background as you, but surely, they are not unable to apply logic.


And don't quote that phrase from JP ... something like "if you are persecuted, that mean you are moving in the right direction". Truth is, if you are persecuted, you can be moving in any direction. Your thoughts and actions are not justified right by persecution !


May God bless you.