Thursday, December 3, 2009

iPhone


While again all is quiet on this blog, my previous post "The New Has Replaced The Old" generated quite a debate on my facebook page which led my facebook friend, C to comment that "I think we have more in common in our faith than areas of disagreement. Having said that, I wonder why there are those who embraced the new covenant teachings tend to denigrate the “old “ teachings in the old testament."

Yes, C and I may have more in common in our faith than areas of disagreement but it is precisely these few areas of disagreement that is the key to the difference in our Christian experience. Continuing with my current lust for a new smartphone, let me illustrate my point with the iPhone: 

The iPhone is the best selling smartphone model in the world bar none - more than 4 million sold since its introduction in 2007.  Have you heard of people queuing up overnight outside a mobile phone retailer shop just to be among the first to get their hands on a newly launched phone? Yes, there are such people (in the USNew Zealand, Australia, England, Japan, even Singapore) but ONLY for the iPhone, not just any phone!



On the surface, the iPhone shares many similarities with other phones eg. a large screen, camera which can film videos, 3.5mm headphone jack, etc but what makes it so special that people are willing to camp overnight to BUY it?

I don't own an iPhone (but Daddy God, I do so love to have one!) but one of the most common comments I have heard from iPhone owners is that it is so easy to use and they can do so many things with it. My sister-in-grace, Angie told me that her husband loves to play with his iPhone, even at home! He showed her one nifty software where he sings a few lines of a song into his iPhone, and it can tell him the title of that song! How cool is that! Anyway, my point is that it is the iPhone's superbly user-friendly user interface that has attracted millions to buy it and millions more to lust for it (that includes me ;-) )

I've heard iPhone owners say "Once you've owned an iPhone, you'll never want any other phone." Does it sound like they are denigrating other phones? Maybe, but to me, it just shows that they love their iPhone so much that they feel like they would be settling for less if they choose any other phone.

This is the same way I feel about the New Covenant. I feel that Christians who cling on to the Old Covenant mindset are settling for less because Hebrews 8:6 says "But now Jesus, our High Priest, has been given a ministry that is far superior to the old priesthood, for he is the one who mediates for us a far better covenant with God, based on better promises."  I am not trying to "denigrate the “old “ teachings in the old testament" but rather put it in the proper context against the New Covenant.

Yes, C and I may have more in common in our faith than areas of disagreement BUT it is the little differences that in the end make such a BIG difference in our Christian walk.


Food for thought: The genetic make-up of man and chimpanzee differs by only 1.3% but what a difference that 1.3% makes!

No comments: