Monday, May 24, 2010

Zo Luan Say Guy

You guys must be wondering what the heaven my post title is all about? I think if you are a Hokkien-speaking Singaporean, you may have guessed correctly that it is a rough transliteration of a Hokkien phrase which literally means Creating (Zo) Chaos (Luan) in the World (Say Guy) ;-)

This is what I think others are probably saying of me whenever I write an article involving Pastor Kong Hee, that I am stirring up trouble or disturbing the peace. It is also why I think twice or even more about whether to write an article involving Pastor Kong Hee, and when I do, I tend to mull over my words carefully, writing and re-writing over and over again trying to pick the right words, phrases and tone for the article.

True to form, after my previous article about Pastor Kong Hee's alleged plagiarism was published, I received an sms from a dear sister-in-grace (who is still dear, by the way) telling me that I am "driving Kong Hee and his supporters further away from the grace gospel by what you are blogging and commenting. The Grace gospel is not just about Pastor Prince or law vs grace.", and another sms from a precious brother-in-grace (who is still precious, by the way) who also shared the same view that my article may cause Kong Hee to be "more hardened against the gospel of grace".

I don't know (in fact, I'm doubtful) whether my article will have such a big impact on Pastor Kong Hee and his followers. I think Pastor Kong Hee is so firm in his position against the gospel message preached by Pastor Prince that I doubt his views would be so easily moved or hardened by my little article. From past comments by City Harvest Church members which I have read in Pastor Kong Hee's blog and other blogs, the position of those who fervently support Pastor Kong Hee are not easily moved anyway.  However, there are some CHC members who still support Pastor Kong Hee and the church but who would like a proper open explanation from Pastor Kong or his appointed spokeman to clarify the issue (although it seems that this has not happened so far) and to rectify any wrong which may has been committed (it seems that CHC has recalled copies of Pastor Kong Hee's 2005 devotionals book which have been on sale in Christian book stores, read here) .

I must also clarify that I wrote the article after a CHC member, Terence Lee first published his article, "Did Kong Hee Plagiarise?". I had read some of Terence's comments on Pastor Kong's blog post regarding CHC's Suntec City deal, questioning the value of and seeking clarifications on the deal, and some of his fellow members have accused him of not trusting the leadership and questioned his loyalty to the church in their follow-up comments. I guess Terence also suffers the same perception of being the "Zo Luan Say Guy" ;-)

I must stress that I did not write the article to condemn Pastor Kong Hee.  The context of my article was that 2 senior pastors of very large churches, who fervently preach on the importance of obeying the 10 Commandments as a means to living out a holy life, ironically failed on that account based on the compelling evidences of alleged plagiarism.  This perfectly illustrates that futility of the Law as a guide - as Paul said in Romans 7: 7-10, "Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death."
  

No comments: