Monday, January 3, 2011

Shema Shema (Listen Listen)

I have not been working since 16 Dec 2010; I went on a 6-day trip to Bangkok with my family, mum, brother-in-law, sisters and nieces (11 of us in total). We had a great time shopping, eating, shopping (typical Singaporeans, eh?) and best of all, I even met my Liverpool hero, Steven Gerrard there!
StevieG and Me ;-)

After we came back to Singapore, I just lazed at home, watching cable TV all day long while my kids played their computer games. I should be feeling rested since I was basically doing nothing but somehow I felt tired instead, so tired that I even skipped NCC's Christmas service, which meant that I did not attend church services for the whole month of December.

Yesterday, my family and I made sure we attended NCC's first service of 2011 even though the timing of the first service has now changed from 9am to 8am, which meant waking up an hour earlier than usual on Sunday. After listening to Pastor Prince's sermon (check out Terence's sermon notes here), I felt energized! I felt more rested after two hours in church than two weeks lazing at home!

Pastor Prince actually preached about this yesterday ...
Terence's sermon notes:


Shema Shema = ‘hearken diligently’. Listen with inside and outside ears. Be fully ‘there’ when in God’s house. There might be a word in season waiting for you. Be fully present in God’s house and eat what is good and let your soul delight in abundance.
Isa 55:3 expounds the same point again. Incline your ear- humble your ear. Know when God is speaking through his mouthpiece to you.
Eat what is good – tov
Let your soul delight itself in abundance – deshen
How ? Isa 55:2 Just keep listening carefully – Shema Shema – hearken – hear diligently
Isa 55:3 – also incline your hear in humility when God’s speaks and come to him
Hear And your soul will live.
Sometimes, our soul is feeling blase and down. But when you hear the living Word from the pulpit, it becomes alive !


Yes, I realize now why I had been feeling so tired despite "resting" at home - I have not been listening to God's Word. Yes, Pastor Prince's sermon cds were playing in the background at my stall on and off for the last few months but I was just hearing background noise because I did not shema shema, I did not hear diligently. Yesterday, I did and I became alive.

Yesterday, I heard Good News. Yesterday, I heard God reassuring me that He is with me in the new year, protecting me and blessing me. Yesterday, I heard His Word for me for 2011. Shema Shema, Listen Listen:

You crown the year with Your bounty and goodness, and the tracks of Your [chariot wheels] drip with fatness.
Psalm 65:11


Have A Blessed New Year!

2 comments:

aishite said...

Great sharing and blog ... thanks.
And uplifting to see the sermon notes too ...

ShowSBPrayerOnTV said...

You have a great blog! =)

Did you know that there's a prayer during the Super Bowl that they don't show on television?!!? I'm trying to make a difference so if you could please go to

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Show-Super-Bowl-Prayer-on-TV/184492414909047

and click the like button it would be very much appreciated.