Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What Is This Good News That You Want To Share?

Are you a Christian? Yes? Then do you want your parents and good friends to become Christians too? Yes? Why? What's so good about being a Christian?

Well, for starters, we get to go to heaven after we die. Yeah, great, then what? When you share the Good News with your parents/good friends, is "heaven" all that you can offer them? Heaven is great but we get to enjoy heaven only after we die. Is there anything in this Good News that is good for us before we die?

When I was in my previous church (for about 30 years), I was not motivated to share the gospel/Good News with friends because basically, the Good News I heard wasn't that good; yes, I can go to heaven after I die but before that, I have to tread very carefully in all that I say and do because God will be very angry with me when I don't meet His standards. Hey, my friends seemed to be living rather happy and care-free lives, I wouldn't want to ruin all that with the burden of this "Good News".

That was then. Now, I can't help but want to share the Good News whenever an appropriate opportunity presents itself. Why? Has the Good News changed? No, the Good News has not changed, it has always been the same; it's just that my understanding of the Good News has changed because of fresh insights shown to me in my present church, New Creation Church.

In New Creation Church, I learnt that God is no longer and will never ever be angry with me for anything I do, because this Good News is not about what I did/will do but what Christ has done. In New Creation Church, I learnt that the Good News is not just about the life after but also the life here and now. I learnt that God heals, God protects, God provides. I learnt that God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1).

The Good News which I now gladly share with people is that "heaven" does not come after death; "heaven" begins right here right now.


Psalm 23

A psalm of David.
 1 The Lord is my shepherd;
      I have all that I need.
 2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
      he leads me beside peaceful streams.
    3 He renews my strength.
   He guides me along right paths,
      bringing honor to his name.
 4 Even when I walk
      through the darkest valley,
   I will not be afraid,
      for you are close beside me.
   Your rod and your staff
      protect and comfort me.
 5 You prepare a feast for me
      in the presence of my enemies.
   You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
      My cup overflows with blessings.
 6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
      all the days of my life,
   and I will live in the house of the Lord
      forever.


I

3 comments:

cybeRanger said...

Shalom! Shalom!
Keep blogging about His righteousness and abundant grace!

Your wonderful blog has been awarded -
http://bestchristianblogoftheweek.blogspot.com/

Stanley Wong said...

Thanks cybeRanger :-)

blogpastor said...

Welcome back Stanley!