Monday, March 28, 2011

Whom Can I Cast My Burdens On?

Two days before Chinese New Year, my wife and I learnt from the doctor that she had breast cancer. She was devastated and so was I. My heart ached so much that I just had to share this piece of bad news with someone (other than my family) but whom can I cast this burden on?

I don't have many friends. A few friends whom I had valued highly had unfriended me, and not communicated with me for months (I still don't really know the reason why it happened), so I couldn't tell them. Thank God I still have a few other friends whom I still value highly but I couldn't bring myself to call them up because Chinese New Year was just two days away and I didn't want to spoil their celebratory mood.

In the end, I did sms one dear sister-in-grace, whom I know is a great encourager, to tell her about my wife's situation, and I'm really thankful for her as well as her husband's words of encouragement which I desperately needed to hear at that moment. However, after that sms, I did not update the dear sister-in-grace again because she was heavily pregnant at that time and due to give birth very soon. I expected her to be full of happy thoughts about her coming baby boy and I did not want to intrude with my less than happy news.


While your friends may stand in faith with you, it is only for a while because they have their own universe to take care of. A few "friends" somehow eventually heard about my wife's situation and sent me an sms but not a single person checked with me again to ask about her progress.


If you have read through my previous few posts, you will realize, as I eventually did, that the only friend you can really cast your burden on is Jesus. Because only He will not be burdened by your burdens, and only He can take away your burdens, for He is able to and truly does care.

I talked to Jesus and He responded through Pastor Prince's sermons which I had been listening and listening. A verse here, a prayer there, a testimony here, a snippet there, Jesus talked to my wife and me, encouraging us and reassuring us that Daddy God's hand is on the situation and He will carry us through this.

Thank Daddy God that my wife had a very successful lumpectomy, and she is recovering well. She still has to go through a radiotherapy treatment cycle consisting of 33 sessions over 6.5 weeks but we trust that Daddy God will protect her from all the side-effects which the therapist warned us about.

I am still talking to Jesus, casting my burdens on Him, trusting that He will continue to carry us, my wife especially, on His shoulders, even as I am writing this post, in the middle of the night, alone at the funeral wake of my wife's mother who passed away last Friday and will be cremated in a few hours' time.

16 comments:

Lambano.Cristo said...

Dear Stanley,

Yes, only our Lord Jesus can be there for us always. He is more than a friend and He is our Brother!

I plead His blood that speaks better thing to release the healing into your wife's body and restore wholeness and health into every tissue in her body and that the Shalom peace shall rest upon your whole family and comfort you as she goes through the chemo process with no side-effect. By His stripes, be healed in Jesus' name. Amen!


Stay Blessed
Douglas Loh

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Douglas,
Yes and amen! Thanks :-)

Stephanie said...

Hi Stanley,

Do you want me to go pray for your wife?

Lord raise me as a healer, surely, with agreement prayer, your wife shall be healed.

Basically devil attacked me with cancer before, but nothing works for him, Lord healed me when prayed.

Lord said go pray, but only if you agree.

Shalom,
Stephanie

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stanley Wong said...

Hi Stephanie,
Thanks for your offer but my wife is recovering well now. She takes the Holy Communion every day trusting that by His stripes, she has been healed.

Stephanie said...

I pray that the Shalom Peace of Jesus surround you, your wife and your family. I pray in agreement prayer with you that Through Christ Jesus, the Law of the Spirit of Life set your wife free from the Law of sin and death. Your wife shall live and not die to Glorify Jesus. Amen Amen! I pray in Jesus Name, Amen!

Stanley Wong said...

Yes and Amen!

Dakota said...

Hey, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-surfing and I'm glad I did! I've added myself as your newest follower, and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional site as well.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
Dakota - A Look at Life from a Deerstand

Will said...

Bro

I know how you feel man!

We have our own fair share of trials. Sometimes I still go thru the period of total helplessness that I could only quietly cry to myself, having no one to talk to, and wondered if He is listening or is He bothered. Felt like going 'home' early sometimes ... it's a stupid idea I know ... see my puny faith :)

I come to the conclusion that what hurt us most is when our loved ones are hurt. Then we might even hurt ourselves. Pure stupidity! And that gives me the revelation now as I typed, that how hurt it must have been for God to see His Son being flogged and nailed to die on the cross.

Pastor Keith's (today's service)sharing was good! I wished for the day I could be transformed (irreversibly transformed) by God (not myself) and be a good vessel for His church in these last days.... personally, being me, being fleshly, really cannot make it.

I am not here to give any consolations or comfort or kind words. I don't think you need them. I believe God has walked with you all these while, and He is the best Counsellor, Comforter and Pillar of Strength for you and your family. I liked what Pastor Joel Osteen said, quoting from the Bible, that God who started this work (us) will surely see us to completion. So I learned to remind myself that God is not complete with me yet :)

Wish to share with you this: during one of my dark day, and I remembered it was near fathers day last year, I kept seeing butterflies around me, many many butterflies within a day or 2. Some are real, some are pictures, some are metallic / wooden displays or advertisements or on newspapers. I shared with my family and asked about the significance. Then NCC gave all fathers - fathers day gift a small booklet about Restful Increase for Dads (blue colour). Then in that book was another picture of a butterfly (Page 47)! And with the verse from Jeremiah 29:11. I was stunned. God spoke to me. I knew it cos He knew what I was and has been struggling (I did not share with anyone, but God knew) in my heart. I am not saying I have overcame my challenges. But to this day, everytime I see a butterfly I would be reminded of Jeremiah 29:11. It has become my 'bullet' verse cos I know God gave it to me during a dark period.

He has since given me another verse from Romans 9:33, which He further reminded me thru Psalms 25:2 (when I flipped randomly thru the Bible).

I believe you have your own unique experience with God, and He watches over you & your family ALL the time. So don't despair, just hang on. As long as we don't give up. He has the final say :)

Due to my saying I comtemplated going 'home' early, I am not disclosing my identity :) but I think you know who I am cos I also LFC fan.

I just joked with my wife yesterday that from next EPL season I will 'change' to support MUFC, cos everytime I watch a LFC game LFC sure lose!!!!! So I will 'support' MUFC next season and watch MUFC play so they sure lose. Hahaha!!!! how fleshly can I get!!!!

Shalom Shalom my friend :)

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Will,
Thanks for sharing ... I'm clinging on to Ps Prince's verse for this year - Psalm 65:11 :-)

blogpastor said...

Your wife and you are on my mind and heart and before God. Take care and see you for kopi.

Stanley Wong said...

Thanks, Pastor :-)

Sabrina said...

Blessings, I came to your blog from Christian Blog of the week Award. I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

Be Blessed!
Sabrina - SABRINAdianne

Wendy Lam said...

Hi brother

As you mention, this seemed to be a season of attack on NCCreationers.

I felt it this year as JP kept going into protection topics. My family and I went through unprescedented challenges with 3 almost losing their jobs though they did nothing wrong, it was persecution from new bosses and colleagues.

Then last week, we heard that JP was at his valley earlier this year and Matthew Kang was in career distress end of last year....

But no evil can come against us... We will rest in the Lord's finished work. What the devil tried to take, when he fails, he has to return double !

We will walk until the perfect day, bright and brighter, easier and easier.....listening to sermons and our paths will drip with fat and this will be a year crowned by his goodness and a bountiful harvest and every area.

Be encouraged that our trials will soon past and as we STAND in our armour, in victory, the devil will soon flee.

Stanley Wong said...

Hi Wendy,
Thanks for your encouragement :-) I think it is no coincidence that your kind words came on the exact day of my wife's last radiotherapy session ;-)

God is for us; the devil has to flee - Deut 28:7-8

7 “The LORD will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways.
8 “The LORD will command the blessing on you in your storehouses and in all to which you set your hand, and He will bless you in the land which the LORD your God is giving you.

Wendy Lam said...

Hi Bro

Have you been following Joseph Prince Ministeries praise reports ? I follow the updates every Friday when I rest after a weeks work. The postings are from all over the world.

Very encouraging and uplifting.

Glad to know about the last radiotheraphy. I know she will be well :) Do feed her some ginseng to boost the immunity regularly.

Cheers
Wendy